Something from Nothing

As anticipated, we now have a heathy cold front racing across the West Desert.


The temperature fall at DPG17 (near I-80 mp 30) and the North Salt Flats mesonet site (just south of I80) was quite abrupt and nearly 15F at the latter.



The peak post-frontal wind gust at North Salt Flats was 50 mph, not too shabby, but still a bit lower than I thought we'd get for peak gusts.  We'll see if we get more intensification.

One might question if this is a front at all given the possibility it is simply convective outflow.  Such outflow likely contributes to a stronger front, but simulations we've done of previous events suggests we can still get a strong scale collapse even if without sub-cloud evaporation.  Thus, I'll stick my neck out and continue to call it a front.

FYI that we will be out tonight launching soundings for a potential lake-effect event.  There's a brief (~6-h) window where conditions are favorable and if something pops up we don't want to miss it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

America's Rainiest City?

The NWS Is Hiring

Temporary Halt of the Dismantling of NCAR