Prospects for a White Christmas
Although the Eve of Christmas Eve brought some light rain showers to the Salt Lake Valley, snowfall at Alta yesterday, overnight, and this morning has added up to a surprisingly healthy 9 inches. If you aren't used to interpreting the "Snow Interval" column below, it's an automated measurement of snow depth on a wooden board that gets wiped from time to time. You can see below how 2 inches accumulated through 16:00 yesterday afternoon (time increases upward), then the board was wiped, another 4" fell through 4 AM when the board was wiped again, and then another 3 inches fell through 8:00 this morning.
What will happen tonight as Santa delivers his gifts and tomorrow when Johnny and Jane want to play with their new sleds? I'm not going to lie to you. I don't have a good idea and I'm glad I don't have to tell Santa that. The pattern is messy with a bunch of disorganized areas of precipitation in southwesterly flow initially and a weak front moving through overnight. There's not much that one can "count on" in a pattern like this, so much is going to depend on luck.
Downscaled NAM accumulations from 5 PM MST (0000 UTC) this afternoon through 5 PM Christmas Day amount to zilch right on the valley floor, and 4-8 inches in the upper elevations of the central Wasatch.
A look at the SREF plume for Alta shows this morning's snow, a break today, and then some additional snow tonight and/or tomorrow depending on the member. Deducting this morning's snow, the average total through 5 PM Christmas Day (26/00Z) is about 6-7 inches. The range for all but two very excited ensemble members is about 1-9 inches.
![]() |
| Source: MesoWest |
Downscaled NAM accumulations from 5 PM MST (0000 UTC) this afternoon through 5 PM Christmas Day amount to zilch right on the valley floor, and 4-8 inches in the upper elevations of the central Wasatch.
![]() |
At the Salt Lake City Airport, all but three members generate less than in inch.
While it won't take a Christmas miracle for there to be an inch or more of new snow on the valley floor by Christmas afternoon, the odds are low. The east bench odds are a bit better, but still most members are under an inch at the University of Utah.
However, the forecasts above are based on science and with a little Christmas magic, perhaps the low probability outcomes will verify. Really, that wouldn't be magic. Statistics says it could be so.




I live in Daybreak, for some reason Daybreak consistently gets 2-4 more inches of snow than the surrounding towns and Salt Lake, I think this peculiar, though it could be due to being on the west bench. I would think so, if we did not also consistently get 1-2 more inches than Herriman. The only thing I can think of, is lake effect snow??? Yet I am extremely skeptical as Daybreak Lake is pathetically small. What are your thoughts?
ReplyDeleteI've been curious to see if this is an effect of the southwesterly storms.
Delete