Friday, October 22, 2010

Kid in a candy shop

When Richard Reed retired from the University of Washington in the 1990s, he was one of the leading atmospheric scientists and a member of the National Academy of Sciences.  What did he say at his retirement party?  "When it comes to the atmosphere, I still feel like a kid in a candy shop."

I have that same feeling today as I do every year before the first big mountain or lowland snowstorm.  It's the same feeling I had when I was a kid in NY and hoping that the forecast nor'easter would bring the goods, cancel school, and let me go skiing.  I keep looking at the NAM forecast for the next few days and the anticipation is killing me!

If you feel the same way, you're in the right profession.  You too are a kid in a candyshop.

1 comment:

  1. My memories go to the early years in my bedroom listening to the NOAA weather radio while in bed. That thing would droan on for hours just waiting for the latest update on conditions, radar, or forecast. Wow, how far we have come.

    Every once in a while I still turn the thing on and I actually get that exciting anticipatory feeling. No wise-cracks please!

    ReplyDelete