Saturday, November 28, 2015

Sometimes It Doesn't Take Much

There is not always a direct relationship between the amount of new snow and road-weather impacts.  Sometimes a little is enough to create problems.

The snow that fell late last night didn't come fast and furious.  It started at the Salt Lake City airport at around 4:50 AM MST and has added up to a whopping .03" of water equivalent through 8:40 am this morning.  That's probably pretty close to what I got in the Avenues foothills.


However, after the cold weather the past couple of days, the road surfaces are cold and the snow is sticking.  In addition, I suspect the road crews were caught off guard and nothing was plowed when I woke up this morning in my neighborhood.  Further, Commuterlink at 8:48 AM MST showed fairly slow going for a Saturday along much of I-15 and I-215 through the Salt Lake Valley.

Source: UDOT
Traffic cameras showed the light snow covering all but the busier lanes.

Source: UDOT
An inch at Alta so far.  It's not much, but I'm starting to learn to appreciate anything we get.

No comments:

Post a Comment