Friday, November 6, 2015

20 Years at the U

This week marks the 20th anniversary of my arrival in Salt Lake City to start as a professor of meteorology (we've since changed the name of the department from meteorology to atmospheric sciences).

To say I'm fortunate to be here is an understatement.  In 1995, the meteorology department at the U was quite small with only 7 faculty members.  They wished to expand in the area of mountain meteorology, but they also had a pressing need for someone who could teach synoptic meteorology and weather analysis and forecasting.  I finished my Ph.D. in spring 1995 and was about as raw and inexperienced as a young professor could be, but could fill both needs and was offered the job.  I was also fortunate to have Professors John Horel and Jan Paegle here as mentors as they were incredibly helpful in helping me navigate many of the challenges one faces as a new faculty member.

Over 20 years it has been my privilege to teach and advise countless undergraduate and graduate students.  I'd like to thank all my former students out there for making this job so satisfying and rewarding.  Special thanks for those students, like Neil below, who have broken trail for me.  With great physical exertion comes the clarity of mind needed for deep learning.  


10 comments:

  1. And for those of us who have never been formal students, I think we all agree that we have been schooled very well and taught so very much by following your here these many years. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Jim, 1st congratulations on a job well done! 2nd, in honor of your 20th, are you willing to go out on a limb for the 2015/16 season prediction? You know that many folks are saying the El Nino will bring us snow... I'm not so sure I see that relationship in past data. Cheers, wishing you a great season and another several decades of great work! G D Beckett, Park City

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the subject of the forthcoming ski season, I am clearly and firmly on the record with "I don't know" and "don't worry about it as a bad year here is usually better than a good year in Colorado." I would rather say we don't know than put out a forecast that is not supported by the evidence but feels good.

      Delete
    2. Yes, the fundamental difference between science and marketing... well said!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! Great mention of the truly important stuff, like putting students to work on skinning techniques for breaking trail. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I just realized it has been 20 years since I graduated from the U of U with my Meteorology degree!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Jim, your classes were the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats Jim! Your classes were my favorite and I still carry my synoptic notes with me to work all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats Jim! And thanks for sharing your knowledge of the mountains, weather, and snow!

    ReplyDelete