Friday, January 18, 2019

The Steenburgh Effect Giveth

What can I say.  The Steenburgh effect just keeps on giving.

Since leaving Utah a couple of days ago, the Wasatch Range has gotten pounded.  I'm not paying close attention to the weather there, but I have gotten messages thanking me for leaving and did notice that Alta's web site is reporting 21 inches in the past 48 hours. 

Meanwhile, the northern Alps were coming unglued prior to our arrival.  Too much of a good thing.  The Steenburgh effect giveth here as well as a break was sorely needed to allow for transportation routes to reopen and the avy danger to subside.  Since we've arrived, it's been partly to mostly sunny skies in Innsbruck with just a few spits of snow (although there were a few inches at some mountain locations last night).  I think the locals are thanking me for now, but they might run me out of town if this continues for a few more days. 

Meanwhile, I "moved" into my temporary home at the University of Innsbruck.  This might be the most spectacular setting for a mountain meteorology program in the world.  Below is the view looking eastward down the Inn Valley from my office. 


Although we are chomping at the bit, Andrea and I have not been able to ski yet.  More on why perhaps in a future post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment