Friday, March 3, 2017

Something to Hope for

Albion Basin, 26 June 2011
We are in the midst of a bit of a break in the storminess.  It's a shame I couldn't get out and ski this week, so hopefully you did some turns for me.

I was wondering this morning what the peak snow depth was at Alta-Collins during the 10/11 season.  For some reason I had 230 inches in my head, but it turns out that was wrong.  Instead it was 207 inches, achieved at 1300 UTC (7 AM MDT) on April 30.


That year we were still at 186 inches on June 1 and 108 inches on July 1.  Yes, that's right, over 100 inches on the ground on July 1.  I took the photo at top on 26 June while skiing in Grizzly Gulch.  Stupendous!

I'm skeptical we will have a run like that this year, only because the climatological odds are against it, but it is something to hope for...

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim- Don't worry I got some turns in today for you before the wind picked up around 2. Nice fast groomers here on Diamond Lane and others.
    My wife got me your book for Christmas '15 and it is picked up from our coffee table by all of our guests at Solitude. We are avid readers of your blog and appreciate your postings!
    JR

    ReplyDelete