Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Doth Protest Too Much

I am frequently invited to attend, participate, or give talks at rallies, demonstrations, and protests.  Most recently I was asked if I will be participating in the September 20th Global Climate Strike.  My answer is almost always no and it will be no for the Global Climate Strike. 

The reality is that I do what I do because of my passion for meteorology and my desire to understand and predict the weather and climate.  I started studying the atmosphere before climate change was politicized and before the First Assessment Report of the IPCC was completed.  My motivation was entirely apolitical. 

I spend a great deal of time studying the atmosphere, especially the weather and climate in mountainous regions.  On the day of the Global Climate Strike, I have some responsibilities that I believe are important and they will be the focus of my efforts.  I will be working. 

This is not a hard decision.  I am an educator and a scientist.  Life is short and time precious.  I prefer to focus my efforts on teaching, advancing science, and public outreach. 

No comments:

Post a Comment