Saturday, August 10, 2019

The Joy of Solar

I did some work this past week on my chimney, which required me to get up on my roof.  While up there, I was reminded that I have a set of solar panels up there that have been doing the job now for about 2.5 years.


They are pretty stealthy.  Our roof is low pitched, so you can't see them at all from the road or from our yard.  They make no noise.  They produce no emissions.  Yet over the past 2.5 years, they've generated 23.2 megawatt hours of power.  We just pay our $9 grid-tie fee each month to Rocky Mountain Power and call it good. 

We've seen no drop off in production, despite the fact that I've done no maintenance.  July is a good month to gauge production since the weather variability is lowest during that month.  Over the past 3 Julys, we produced 1186, 1163, and 1173 kilowatt-hours of power.  That's pretty damn consistent. 

Whether or not solar makes sense for you depends on many factors.  However, I can give it a big thumbs up for our sun-exposed home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment