Monday, December 31, 2018

Steenburgh Effect Delivers Again!

I'm not out of town, but am unable to ski today.  Hence, yesterday's storm became a clear overproducer, generating 11 inches on the Collins stake through 8 AM this morning. 

If you love cold smoke, this is your snow.  Total water was only 0.56 inches, yielding a water content of about 5%.  Wear a buff or something to cover your face.  Temps are around 10ºF at 8500 feet and below zero at 11,000 feet.

This storm reminds me a bit of New Year's Eve 2010, when a super cold storm produced great touring conditions.


However, it was several degrees colder than today.  I remember that day well as we did over 6,000 vertical feet of climbing and I don't think I ever took my puffy jacket off.  Taking a significant break wasn't an option.  We would stop, chug some water and have a quick bite, and get moving again.

This could be it for several days as the NAEFS shows little action over the next few days, then we will have to see.


No comments:

Post a Comment