Sunday, November 15, 2020

Skis of Seasons Past

Mother Nature has given us enough to start the ski season this year in November, but we're still dealing with low tide conditions.  

I'm skiing on some classic old skis that I prefer to think of as skis of seasons past rather than rock skis.  Specifically, I'm on a pair of Kahru Jak BCs that I think I bought in 2005.

These skis were ahead of their time.  Light and lively.  124-90-113.  I think this was the first setup I had with tech bindings.  I have a friend who used to tell me if I ever wanted to sell them to give him a call, although this year he suggested they belong in a museum.  That's a bit cruel.  I skied them today and I had FUN, although I need to take a closer look at the bindings, which may finally be on their last legs.  

I've been debating whether or not to buy equipment this year.  My "new" gear is about 4 years old and has some decent mileage.  I've been concerned that it will be hard to find anything if something breaks given the run on AT gear this season.  

5 comments:

  1. Jim, don't mean to highjack the thread, but do you mind sharing your off season routine for maintaining your conditioning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure I'm the best example. I have many friends who are in better shape than me and I am in a constant battle with joint issues.

      Pre-COVID during the warm season, I would mountain bike 2x per week, walk or hike 2x per week, and swim 2x per week. I hate swimming, but its helped me manage my back and other joint issues. Thirty minutes of laps and a good soak in the hot tub does wonders. I also do core work 4 days a week for 15-20 minutes and whatever else my physical therapist recommends to deal with whatever problem I have at the time.

      I've had to axe the swimming due to COVID so this summer I walked or hiked 3x a week, usually for about an hour, but longer once a week, and mountain biked 3x a week, usually for 75-90 minutes.

      I'm struggling with shoulder issues right now. I'm not sure I'm going to be skate skiing for a while and even touring is problematic. It will be something else in a few months...

      Delete
    2. Thanks Jim! As a fellow aging academic, I've been shaking my head whenever I see your posts from peaks, wondering WTF? Now I know - I have to up my game. I too have shoulder issues, but endstage AC joint arthritis is all about pain management and controlling joint kinematics. But totally doable. Hope to run into you beneath Ben Lomond some day.

      Delete
  2. Hilarious Jim! Didn't think "cruel' per se, but I bet they could put them there next to the Anasazi baskets in the Museum of Natural History. 🤣
    Drew
    Truth be told, they were my favorite ski for awhile -

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got my "Utah" magazine, where I'm listed in Alumni news, MS'77, "weather's been a great gig!" When I arrived in SLC I had my Head 360's but couldn't afford a lift ticket!

    ReplyDelete