Monday, November 2, 2020

25 Years at the U!

This week marks my silver anniversary at the University of Utah.  Twenty-five years ago we left Seattle Washington, drove across Snoqualmie Pass into the dry, western interior, and arrived in Salt Lake City a day later to a new home and a new life. 

The U has been a great home for me.  I was as inexperienced as they come as a new professor, having just finished my Ph.D. a few months earlier.  One has to wonder what they were thinking hiring me.  I didn't really know what I was thinking when I took the job either, but I got good vibes from John Horel, a professor in what was then the Department of Meteorology, that he would be a great mentor and indeed he has been for 25 years.  John was the best friend and mentor I could hope when I was as a young professor and and remains so as we age into obsolescence.  

There have been a lot of highlights and a few lowlights in those 25 years.  John and I contributed to weather prediction efforts for the 2002 Olympic Winter Games, John leading the development of MesoWest and observing systems at the venues, while I led the numerical weather prediction team.  As part of the effort, I attended and learned about weather support for the 1998 Nagano Winter Olympics and the 2001 Alpine World Championships in St. Anton, Austria.  

Utah Nordic legend Dave Hanscom and I at the Snow Harp Cross Country Venue,
Hakuba Valley, Japan, 1998.

I cannot tell a lie.  Skiing was involved, although there was some work too!  Following the 2002 Games, I've been able to contribute to some other Olympic forecast efforts, most recently traveling to Beijing to contribute to workshops and weather forecasting and monitoring efforts for the 2022 Winter Olympics.  


My extended forecast for those games.  Cold and windy, especially in the mountain venues, with little snow.  Heads up to journalists to pack warm if you're heading into the Beijing area mountains for outdoor events.  

I've also been able to participate in several field programs examining winter storms or mountain weather phenomenon.  In 2000, we somehow convinced NOAA to bring one of their P-3 Hurricane Hunters to Salt Lake City to fly through winter storms in the Wasatch Range.


More recently, I was able to have a homecoming of sorts to examine lake-effect storms on the Tug Hill Plateau during the OWLeS field campaign.  

Photo Credit: Ted Letcher

Of course, the best highlights of 25 years at the U are the people I've been able to work with.  This includes many great students, undergraduate and graduate, faculty, and staff, as well as friends and collaborators at the National Weather Service, especially Larry Dunn, who is now retired, but continues to question everything I do on the skin track or hiking trail.  

The job is not without its challenges.  My dream would be to do what I'm doing for a while longer, but without having to write another proposal.  If you can help, give me a call!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on a long and successful career!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome- what a journey thus far. Keep up the good work as long as your heart is in it! Love to read the cool material as well as about the adventures you have. Congrats on the 25 years, Jim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Jim. I enjoyed learning a little along the way. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to say congratulations as well! And I continue to enjoy the weather blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats Jim. We appreciate all you do! When I moved here from Arkansas in 2009 I was completely out of my element from a meteorological standpoint. I found this blog while searching for something that would better explain the weather during the winter months. I'm very glad I came across your blog. You're great at explaining things even to someone who is completely out of their element. I mean hell the only severe weather I was used to were supercell thunderstorms and bad ice storms here and there lol. I'd never seen so much snow and the weather pattern here was so different. You definitely helped me and my family learn about the weather in our new home state. I guess what I'm trying to say is thank you for all that you do for us and I hope you continue to teach and write this blog for many years to come. Congrats on 25 years!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations. Please, if at all possible try to get more information on climate change in all of your work. This tiny blue planet needs great scientific leaders like you to get us moving

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although in recent months I haven't blogged much on that, it has been a central thread in the past.

      Delete