Wednesday, June 10, 2020

#ShutDownStem

A number of grassroots campaigns are holding a strike today for black lives (e.g., #ShutDownStem and #ShutDownAcademia) to focus on discussions with colleagues about anti-Black bias in the world and in academia.  My colleagues in the atmospheric and related sciences have a call to action for an antiracist science community at https://notimeforsilence.org/ that I encourage you to read today. 

I regret that pursuing antiracist policies and culture has not been a greater priority for me during my career.  I am taking time today to reflect, listen, and understand.  In the future, I am committing myself to stronger advocacy for the promotion of antiracist policies and inclusive culture in my department and college, as well as across the atmospheric and related sciences. 

No comments:

Post a Comment