Sunday, September 29, 2024

Crazy Late September Heat

Just outside my window I hear the late September dogs
And I understand their warning I understand their song
Since you left I feel the change in the air
And night after night I'm searching for mercy everywhere
So I wake in the street and I call out your name
I shout to the sky please
Come on let it rain
Let it rain down on me
Let the rain touch my hands
Let the rain set me free

- Melissa Etheridge

Plenty of insanity in the weather world currently with Hurricane Helene providing a sad reminder that it is water, not wind, that causes most tropical cyclone impacts.  That said, there is insanity here as well.  Yesterday, KSLC reached 96°F.  Not only is that a record for the day, but it is the highest temperature ever observed after 19 September.  Below is a listing of the 10 highest maximum temperature observed at KSLC from 16 September to 15 October.  The record is 97, but that was on September 19th, 1956, a full 10 days earlier in the calendar.  


About the only positive thing right now is the sun goes down early and the nights are long, so it's at least tolerable for sleeping.  

Looking elsewhere, pity the people in Phoenix.  Yesterday's high was 117°F.  LET ME SAY THAT AGAIN.  YESTERDAY'S HIGH WAS 117°F.  That is an utter and total obliteration of anything that has ever been observed previously this time of year.  Again, top-10 below for 16 September - 15 October.  Yesterday's 117 is a full 4 degrees ahead of the previous record, set the previous day, and #3 set two days before that.  Until this year, the highest temperature observed after September 15 was 110.  

Simply incredible.  

1 comment:

  1. I was just on a trip through the southwest yesterday and the day before and was blown away by the extreme heat down there. I got out of the car to look at stars with the dark skies near Parker, AZ and it was 105 degrees. Granted the sun sets early but being outside, in the dark, at 8 pm with that kind of heat was a brand new experience for me. And then yesterday in Mesquite the car thermometer (for what that is worth) read 113.

    ReplyDelete