Thursday, September 26, 2024

Congrats to Ron Perla

 Ron Perla, an pioneering avalanche researcher and Little Cottonwood legend, was recently named a distinguished alumnus of the University of Utah Department of Atmospheric Sciences. As described in this College of Science online article, Ron was an Alta Ski Patroller and US Forest Service Snow Ranger in the 1950s and early 1970s who researched slab properties, avalanche rescue methods, etc.  He commuted back and forth from Alta to the U to complete his classes in meteorology and conduct his research.  Ron was also a mountaineer who established first routes on Mt. Robson (Canadian Rockies), Grand Teton, and our own Lone Peak in the Wasatch.  

Ron Perla, US Forest Service, 1968

Alta skiers may be familiar with a run called "Perla's" on Mt. Baldy, which is named for Ron.  Ron tells the story of how he survived an avalanche on Mt. Baldy in 1967:

“In 1967, I was working as a USFS Snow Ranger near the top of Mt. Baldy,” Perla says. “The cornice broke off prematurely, and I fell into a Baldy chute. The cornice blocks triggered a large avalanche. I was tumbled around with no chance of 'swimming,' and somehow I missed all of the rocks. Just before I lost consciousness under the snow, I managed to thrust an arm up to the surface. I was found quickly.” 

Backcountry skiers might also be familiar with "Perla's Peak" on the south side of Little Cottonwood Canyon just up canyon from the head of Coalpit #4. I don't know if there's a good story behind that.  

Last year I spoke with Ron about the history of the J & J Quinney Alpine Meteorological Research Center at Alta, which for a time in the 1970s was "operated" by my department.  You can read about it here.  

Congratulations to Ron and many thanks for all he has done to keep us safer in the mountains. 

No comments:

Post a Comment