Sunday, July 28, 2019

Central Wasatch Peak Bagging

I've been in Salt Lake City for nearly 25 years and in that time I've never been to the top of the American Fork Twin Peaks.  That changed today as my son and I bagged it via Gad Valley from the base of Snowbird. 

It's a really great hike, with some ridge scrambling that is fun and offers some great views. 



The photos above were taken in fairly meadowy areas.  In others, there's some rock hoping and scrambling to be had, but not difficult.  Perhaps class 3 in a few places.  In places there's a faint trail, but not much.  

Views from the Red Stack were really spectacular. 



Ditto for the views from the American Fork Twin. Timpanogos still has plenty of snow up high and the USFS was recommending ice axes/traction devices for ascending the Timp "Glacier".  


I didn't feel bad about leaving my skis at home, however, when looking down Pipeline.


I don't know where the Snowbird expansion plans are these days, but I hope that the summit of this  magnificent peak remains unspoiled.  

No comments:

Post a Comment