Airing of Grievances

As depicted on Seinfeld, December 23rd is Festivus, a secular holiday that includes an airing of grievances.

I'm cashing in my Festivus rain check today and doing my airing of grievances today.  Here they are:

1. Only 7.7" of snow so far this season at the Salt Lake City Airport.  Pathetic!  

2. Only 141" of snow so far this season reported by Alta Ski Area (through 6 am this morning).  Ugh!

Source: alta.com/weather.  Downloaded 7:45 AM MST 5 January.

3. Snow water equivalent at Thaynes Canyon (Park City Mountain Resort) barely above the lowest on record since 1989.  Gasp!

Source: NRCS

4. I haven't used my snow blower or snow shovel yet this winter.  My back appreciates that, but come on man!

5. Another waste of a storm last night at my house?  Sad!

Some asked in a comment a couple of days ago about the prospects of "Steenburgh Winter" (i.e., 100" of snow depth at Alta by February 10).  Forget about that.  At this point, I'll take ANY winter.  

Comments

  1. I wonder if Pow Mow will even get to 100" cumulative snowfall by Feb 10th...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara.Strachan@deq.idaho.govJanuary 5, 2021 at 11:00 AM

    Could it be that there is no chance of a Steenburgh Effect due to COVID-related lack of travel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will find out next week. Normally, I would be attending the Annual Meeting of the American Meteorological Society. If it's dry, no doubt it's the Steenburgh effect.

      I am still waiting for people to collect donations to send me back to Innsbruck.

      Delete
  3. Interesting story on https://www.washingtonpost.com/ today about polar stratospheric warming affecting storms in Europe and maybe US.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a theory that the poor winter was just 2020's last twist of the knife, and that snow was on its way as soon as we ticked over to '21. The coverage I found on low-angle terrain in upper Big Cottonwood after last night's storm made me optimistic that I might be right. I didn't hit a single rock in the whole 2-hour tour.

    On the other hand, the long-range forecasts make me wish I'd never been born. So there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe we should all fund a 2 week trip for Jim in order to engage the "I'm out of town" snow machine...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

America's Rainiest City?

The NWS Is Hiring

Temporary Halt of the Dismantling of NCAR