Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Airing of Grievances

As depicted on Seinfeld, December 23rd is Festivus, a secular holiday that includes an airing of grievances.

I'm cashing in my Festivus rain check today and doing my airing of grievances today.  Here they are:

1. Only 7.7" of snow so far this season at the Salt Lake City Airport.  Pathetic!  

2. Only 141" of snow so far this season reported by Alta Ski Area (through 6 am this morning).  Ugh!

Source: alta.com/weather.  Downloaded 7:45 AM MST 5 January.

3. Snow water equivalent at Thaynes Canyon (Park City Mountain Resort) barely above the lowest on record since 1989.  Gasp!

Source: NRCS

4. I haven't used my snow blower or snow shovel yet this winter.  My back appreciates that, but come on man!

5. Another waste of a storm last night at my house?  Sad!

Some asked in a comment a couple of days ago about the prospects of "Steenburgh Winter" (i.e., 100" of snow depth at Alta by February 10).  Forget about that.  At this point, I'll take ANY winter.  

7 comments:

  1. I wonder if Pow Mow will even get to 100" cumulative snowfall by Feb 10th...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara.Strachan@deq.idaho.govJanuary 5, 2021 at 11:00 AM

    Could it be that there is no chance of a Steenburgh Effect due to COVID-related lack of travel?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will find out next week. Normally, I would be attending the Annual Meeting of the American Meteorological Society. If it's dry, no doubt it's the Steenburgh effect.

      I am still waiting for people to collect donations to send me back to Innsbruck.

      Delete
  3. Interesting story on https://www.washingtonpost.com/ today about polar stratospheric warming affecting storms in Europe and maybe US.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a theory that the poor winter was just 2020's last twist of the knife, and that snow was on its way as soon as we ticked over to '21. The coverage I found on low-angle terrain in upper Big Cottonwood after last night's storm made me optimistic that I might be right. I didn't hit a single rock in the whole 2-hour tour.

    On the other hand, the long-range forecasts make me wish I'd never been born. So there's that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe we should all fund a 2 week trip for Jim in order to engage the "I'm out of town" snow machine...

    ReplyDelete