Thursday, February 3, 2022

The 2021/22 Ski Season, Part I and II

Each ski season is unique in its own way, but I have reached a point meteorologically and physically where it is clear that this will be a two-part ski season.  

Part I was from mid-October until mid January.  It was a herky jerky period. Snow in October and early November, followed by drought into mid December, followed by snow until early January.  There was some good skiing and some not-so good skiing, for a time primarily on upper-elevation north-facing aspects.  

The December storms opened things up for ski touring, Nordic skiing, and resort skiing.  Skiing fun in all its forms.

The spigot closed, however, in early January.  I didn't realize it at the time, but the snow season and my ski season would pivot on January 7.  Through that date, Alta had recorded 254.5" of snow.  Since then, they've had less than 10 inches.  Additionally, I woke up that morning with a sharp pain in my upper foot.  I had skate skied the prior day in some of the softest, slowest snow I'd ever encountered.  I didn't think much about it, but must have aggravated something.  I took some days off and tried to soldier along, but it is not improving.  Thus, I'm doing a hard shutdown now except for physical therapy, strength training, and maybe some light workouts on a stationary bike or in the pool.  My physical therapist suggests I might try Alpine skiing if it can be done without pain, but says to stay far away from skating and touring.  

Looking at the forecast, it looks like I won't miss much from a powder perspective.  The GFS produces no precipitation over the next 7 days and 43 out of 52 members of the NAEFS generate less than 2" of snow at Alta.  There are two members that produce 7 inches.  There's always hope that perhaps one of the roll-over troughs will produce, but it's slim.  Then there's the 8-14 day outlook from the Climate Prediction Center.

Thus, I'm calling intermission on the 2021/22 ski season.  It's hard to say when Part II of the ski season will start, but hopefully the 2nd half of February and the coming spring will be better for snow and skiing. 

7 comments:

  1. this seasons is reminding me of a better version of 2014-15. A decent run of storms that just ended in january with no relief in sight. Hopefully it doesn't end as abysmally as that season but I'm having some deja-vu

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does this mean from a hydro perspective? Filling up reservoirs and that sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It means we're going to need a pretty good late February and March to get close to median snowpack for a good runoff. If this persists into March, it would be very problematic.

      Delete
  3. Too bad for the Great Salt Lake ;-(

    ReplyDelete