Monday, February 16, 2015

Boston Is Killing Us!

I've always been fairly apathetic when it comes to Boston, but they are really starting to tick me off.  Although I didn't like it, I could live with the Patriots beat the Seahawks in the Superbowl.  However, being trounced by them in the snowfall department is entirely unacceptable.

Here are a couple of graphs for you.  The first is the accumulated snowfall at Boston's Logan Airport (green line) compared to climatology (brown line) since January 22nd.  Total accumulation 90 inches compared to an average of 10.

Source: NOAA
The second is for Alta for the same period.  Total accumulation 11.5 inches compared to an average of 67 (note scale change).

Source: NOAA
In addition, the 90 inches that Boston has received exceeds the average for Alta in the period.  Crazy stuff.

3 comments:

  1. I am a ski addict. I admit it. However, I live in Houston TX, so I tend to satisfy my Jones for snow, vicariously through your blog and other websites. This year we planned a ski trip and the choice was either to be in Utah or New Hampshire. We actually thought that NH would be best for logistics since we were joining up with a party from Washington DC. Upon further evaluation it became clear that Utah would be the better choice in that it would allow for more slope time within a limited long weekend. So, on Jan 12 the day of the dump all looked well. Since then all of the snow that usually falls in the Wasatch went to NE and I think that we may be skiing on rocks this weekend. Chaps my ass to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. COLORADO is too!! Vail has also surpassed Alta in season snowfall! We'll take the bragging rights, as short lived as they might be...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This article is nonsense. Logan for all intensive purposes is on an island in the harbor. And the water temp kills the snowfall there as compared to the rest of NE. If your going to compare Snow fall totals you have to compare apples to apples, or in this case mountains to mountains. That said no one can say the skiing is better here.

    ReplyDelete