Vacation Recalibration
After 2 weeks in the Pac NW, I returned to a remarkably humid, green, and lush Utah late yesterday. The drive through Sweetzer Summit at sunset was incredible as it looked more like mid-May than mid-July.
Indeed, in trying to recalibrate myself to Utah, I started checking out recent observations for KSLC. Dewpoints primarily above 50 for the past week with a few peaks in the low 60s!
Remarkable stuff. No wonder the grass is so green. Average dewpoints this time of year at KSLC are in the 40s. Not only do I need to recalibrate for Utah, I need to recalibrate for an early monsoon surge.
We had a brief burst of heavy rain this morning, so I thought I'd look at the radar. Not an echo in sight! WTH?
Surprised, I took a look at the visible satellite imagery, which did show that most of the Great Salt Lake basin is presently quiet, but there are some decent cells to our southeast.
Turns out the radar is down for a system upgrade.
Ugh! Full recalibration may need to wait until tomorrow.
Indeed, in trying to recalibrate myself to Utah, I started checking out recent observations for KSLC. Dewpoints primarily above 50 for the past week with a few peaks in the low 60s!
Remarkable stuff. No wonder the grass is so green. Average dewpoints this time of year at KSLC are in the 40s. Not only do I need to recalibrate for Utah, I need to recalibrate for an early monsoon surge.
We had a brief burst of heavy rain this morning, so I thought I'd look at the radar. Not an echo in sight! WTH?
![]() |
| Source: NCAR/RAL |
![]() |
| Source: NCAR/RAL |
Ugh! Full recalibration may need to wait until tomorrow.




Comments
Post a Comment