Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Vacation Recalibration

After 2 weeks in the Pac NW, I returned to a remarkably humid, green, and lush Utah late yesterday.  The drive through Sweetzer Summit at sunset was incredible as it looked more like mid-May than mid-July.

Indeed, in trying to recalibrate myself to Utah, I started checking out recent observations for KSLC.  Dewpoints primarily above 50 for the past week with a few peaks in the low 60s!


Remarkable stuff.  No wonder the grass is so green.  Average dewpoints this time of year at KSLC are in the 40s.  Not only do I need to recalibrate for Utah, I need to recalibrate for an early monsoon surge.

We had a brief burst of heavy rain this morning, so I thought I'd look at the radar.  Not an echo in sight!  WTH?

Source: NCAR/RAL
Surprised, I took a look at the visible satellite imagery, which did show that most of the Great Salt Lake basin is presently quiet, but there are some decent cells to our southeast.

Source: NCAR/RAL
Turns out the radar is down for a system upgrade.


Ugh! Full recalibration may need to wait until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment