Spring Runoff at Risk
It's not time to panic yet, but I've been looking at the forecast for the next couple of weeks and it is bad news for the spring runoff. Much can happen in late March and April, but it appears we will need to make up a lot of ground if we are to have anything close to a decent runoff this spring in the Great Salt Lake Basin. First, let's have a look at the current snowpack situation. The Bear, Weber, Ogden, and Provo/Jordan river basins are all sitting at about 75% of average snowpack. Source: NRCS This week, we have a high-amplitude ridge building in. The 700-mb temperatures are forecast to climb to about +5ºC over Salt Lake City by Thursday afternoon. Thursday will easily be the warmest day of the year. Portions of the Salt Lake Valley will see maximum temperatures in the low 70s . I think 70ºF will be broken at the Salt Lake Airport if the lake breeze is kept at bay. All of this means that we will be chipping away at the mountain sno...