Friday, October 13, 2023

Purgatory

The storm is over.  Automated observations from Alta-Collins indicate a storm total of 15" and a settled snow depth this morning of 12".  The High Rustler cam shows it's white.  If I squint, I think I see some tracks on Nina's.  

By and large though, this puts us solidly in ski purgatory.  Enough snow to whet the appetite, but not really enough to ski.  I'm sure some people will get out, but the current snowpack situation is below my tolerance level and I'm not inclined to risk injury.  Additionally, the forecast looks ridgy.  The NAEFS downscaled ensemble forecast is pretty much a flatline for the next 6-7 days, although there is one plucky member that generates six inches.  


There is always hope.  

I suspect, however, that most of the snow on sunny aspects will melt out over the next several days.  It will survive on upper-elevation shadier aspects, but likely facet and weaken.  Expect heterogeneous avalanche conditions when the next storm comes, whenever that may be.  

1 comment: