Monday, April 24, 2017

Steenburgh Effect This Week

I am currently on travel, which is good news for you, because it means the Steenburgh effect is en force.  I haven't had time for a proper look at the models, but did notice that they are looking active for this week, as evinced by the NAEFS ensemble plumes for Alta.

As we mentioned a week or two ago, it ain't over until it's over.  Keep the skis waxed and get on it before it's baked.

Last night I received the Charles Hosler Alumni Scholar Award from Penn State's College of Earth and Mineral Sciences for contributions to the development of science through teaching, research and administrative leadership. Dr. Hosler served his country in WWII and Penn State as Prof. of Meteorology, Dean of Earth and Mineral Sciences, VP of Research, Dean of the Graduate School, and Provost. He also signed my acceptance letter to Penn State in 1985. It was an honor to sit with him and receive the award from Dean Bill Easterling.


I'm pretty shocked about the whole thing as the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences has a ton of excellent alumni and I'm really a ski bum with a Ph.D.   Despite the fact that Pennsylvania is Austrian for "ski purgatory" I was very fortunate to attend Penn State and learn from so many great faculty.  I'm also fortunate to have a wife and kids, family and friends, students and post-docs, and colleagues and collaborators who have helped me go places I could never go by myself.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Jim! Got the ski's ready to go this week before heading to Moab. I will bring the ski's in case the La Sal mountains get hit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...Penn State is also known as "The Mecca of Meteorology". In the tiny town of State College you have:

    - Huge University Met Program
    - Huge Private Wx company (Accu-Weather)
    - An NWS WFO

    Many who go there for school, never leave. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on the award!! And it is true, late April has turned back into February in SLC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Much deserved! Congratulations. Thanks for the April freshies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think more ski bums with PHDs should be recognized. Good peeps. Jonathan F.

    ReplyDelete