Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Yogi Berra Quotes

Yogi Berra leaping into Don Larsen's arms after his perfect game in
the 1956 World Series encapsulates the joy of sport. 
Yogi Berra passed away yesterday at the age of 90.  He was one of the greatest catchers in baseball history and participated in 21 World Series as a player or coach.  Nevertheless, for many of us who never saw him play, we know him more for his quotes.  Here are five that are relevant for the weather weenies, scientists, and academic types out there.

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.  In practice there is.

I'm sure that quote was baseball motivated, but substitute application for practice and you are on to something for scientists and academics.  

"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question."

I'll be using that one at my next lecture on global warming.

"You can observe a lot just by watching." 

Damn straight, and a good line for modelers, theoretical meteorologists, and model-centric forecasters to remember.  Take a glance out the window and at the weather map from time to time!

"It ain't the heat, it's the humidity.

Exactly.  That's why I live in Utah and not Washington D.C.

"It's like deja-vu, all over again."

I took a quick look via Google and found that I've used that line many times for Wasatch Weather Weenies posts.  Once a pattern is locked in, it's not unusual to have a couple of similar, even anomalous weather events back-to-back, like a couple good homers.  

2 comments: