Wednesday, March 18, 2015

I Give Up!

Source: phillbarron.files.wordpress.com
According to the Utah Avalanche Center, Alta Guard has had only 213.5 inches of snow since November.  Yesterday I waited for the bus at 6:45 am in a pair of shorts.  We set record highs the past 3 days at the Salt Lake City airport.  Even with a bit of cooling today, we're still well above average.

The models show dry, mild conditions continuing over northern Utah through the weekend.  There are hints that we might see a trough passage next week, but this looks to be another example of a trough "slipping through the net," followed by the return of the ridge that has been seemingly omnipresent over the west all winter.

I've decided that I am going to root for Alta Guard to break its all time record for least snowy season (314.5" for November through April).  Yeah, I've talked about the possibility of breaking this record a few times, but now I am going to root for it, going against everything that I stand for as a human being.  If we are going to suffer like this, we may as well get something to show for it.

4 comments:

  1. As they say: even when it's bad, it's still pretty good. Even though it was slush and obvious that the snow pack won't last much longer, I still managed to have a good time. But every so often the depression and uncertainty of what larger ecological implications this might have bubbled to the top. I just hope there's enough water this summer to make the amount of beer I'm sure to need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, there have been plenty of smiles to be seen when I've been skiing this winter.

      Delete
  2. This is not good news for the Great Salt Lake. If this high pressure continues for the rest of the year, another record may well be broken - lowest lake water level in measurement history...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. And will a smaller Great Salt Lake lead to less "lake enhanced" snowfall? Could be a vicious circle!

      Delete