Sunday, August 28, 2011

More on Catskill Flooding

Continuing the thread from below, it appears that the Schoharie Creek at Gliboa Dam hit it's alltime record stage today at 1137.37 feet.

Source: NOAA Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service
Residents below the dam have been evacuated.  Officials do not believe the dam is in danger of failure, so let's hope this does turn out to be purely a precautionary measure.

On a personal note, my father's family owned a camp on the Schoharie River.  I recall visiting it when I was a young boy.  It flooded many times, but typically during the spring runoff.

My parents who live in Fulton County roughly 100 km north of this area report downed trees, including four poplars, one of which fell on the neighbors truck.  My mother tells me that it was certainly as "bad as advertised."

No comments:

Post a Comment